Monday 8 June 2015

Enchor er tarkari / Kathal ki sabzi

Enchorer tarkari
A few days back, I had asked my followers on facebook as to what kind of recipes would they like in the next few posts on the blog.
Most of them replied that some light, vegetarian food for summer would be good.
Now, I believe most of my recipes are way too light already. And hence perfect for summer.
All my recipes for fish as well as chicken ( which I do not post very regularly but do make for dinner on most week days ) are really simple with minimum of ingredients or masalas.
As are the vegetarian ones ... which I believe are even more lighter.

Still, that set me thinking.
Of late, I have been posting less vegetarian dishes.
Why?
I don't know. As simple as that.
So when I saw these pictures of the Jackfruit / Kathal ki sabzi in my folders, waiting for god knows how long to see the light of the day, I decided to make a post on it pronto.
And promptly got stuck when it came to writing the recipe.


Kathal tarkari

I hunted amongst all my folders but could not find the recipe.
I was sure I had written it somewhere. But still could not find it.
Checked my scribble pad in the kitchen. Nope. No recipe.
The reason I was hunting for the recipe is that I hardly follow any measurements or one single recipe when I am cooking something.
Every time I use different things, with different measurements.
I cannot call them measurements too ... I just eyeball everything and throw in a pinch of this and a spoonful of that.
Yes, that is the way I cook. Most of the time.
Which makes it absolutely necessary to write down a recipe the same time I am making it.
Else, within a day I forget it.
And when I eventually sit down to make a post, I am completely lost.
Just like today.

I actually have some ingredients written down for a masala and marked it as "for god knows what!".
Get the picture?

I could not remember if I had used onions or garlic.
Or tomatoes.
Or what masalas.
Feeling lost, I gave up. And went to make myself a cup of tea.
Evening was setting in and the sky had turned into a riot of colours. After a whole day of dark clouds hovering and a slightly muggy weather, the sun had burst through with a wonderfully, surreal golden light that slowly turned a purplish pink before letting the dark grey take over.
And there was a beautifully cool breeze too.

I sat with my cup in my hands and wondered about the recipe. Where was it?
And then it struck me!
It was right there, in front of me, all the while.
And I could not recognise it!

Kathaler torkari
The thing is, I often write down a lot of reminders and other things on the white tiles on my kitchen wall.
And the recipe was right there! In front of me!
But in jumbled words, small pieces and broken sentences.
Slanted lines going all the way up on my right. Breaking at the joints of the tiles.
Up and down and towards the corner.
But nowhere was it written what the recipe was for.

Finally, it was one hurried line that saved me. "Remember to apply plenty of oil in yours hands before cutting it".
Only,  there was no mention of what 'it' was!
Sigh! 

Jackfruit curry
So here goes the recipe.
Light, summery. Perfect for lunch or dinner.

Need :

Kathal / Enchor /  Raw Jackfruit - 2 cups full, cut into medium sized cubes and soaked in salt water
(Remember to apply plenty of vegetable oil in your hands before cutting the Jackfruit )

Potato - 1 medium sized, cut into cubes
Onion - 1 medium sized, sliced
Tomatoes - 2 big sized, grated or pureed 

Bay leaf  - 1
Whole red chillies - 2, broken into two
Green cardamom - 1, split
Jeera / Cumin powder - 1 tbsp
Dhania / Coriander powder - 2 tbsp
Haldi / Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Mirchi / Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp

Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 1 tsp or to taste
Water

How to :

Cook the cut kathal pieces with some salt and water in a pressure cooker .... 2 whistles on low heat will do the job.

Remove from heat and open cooker once it has completely cooled down.
Drain the kathal pieces and keep aside.

Heat oil in a kadahi / wok.

Add the bay leaf, green cardamom and the whole red chillies.
Add the onion slices quickly and fry till they turn pink.

Add the potatoes and fry covered till they are half cooked.  

Add the tomato and keep frying on high heat. 

Now add the masala powders and salt, stirring all the while.
Add some water if needed.
It should not turn dry ... the dry masalas will burn otherwise.

Now add the kathal pieces and fry for a while.

Add enough water to cover the pieces.
Add salt and sugar.
Cover and let it cook till the potatoes are well done and the kathal / enchor has soaked up all the masalas well.

Do check for water in between Add some if necessary.

After the gravy has reached desired consistency, sprinkle the ghee and the garam masala powder and cover.

Let it simmer for around five minutes.

Remove from heat.

Kathal ki sabzi

Serve hot.
Goes great with rotis, parathas or dal and rice.

Enjoy!!


Do check out my Instant Kathal Biryani made with left over kathal curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please do not spam.