Monday 2 May 2016

Dimer jhol / Egg Curry

 Dimer jhol
 Of late, or for quite some time, there have been no recipes using eggs on my blog.
I have eggs very minimally these days, for the last couple of years, because of a suspicion that I am allergic to them.
So I eat them on and off to maintain a track.
Also, since B does not like eggs, I stay away from making them too frequently. Too much of a hassle ... cooking for myself and then cooking for him ... which I anyway do on my non vegetarian days.

But I love to eat eggs.
And this love is not limited to only omelettes or scrambles or bhurjis.
I love to eat eggs in different kinds of curries.

This killing summer is just not the right time for a spicy curry. But Pune turns out beautifully cool these evenings and the heat does not hurt as much as it does during the day.
So I made this egg curry since I had exactly three eggs sitting in the fridge and none of us wanted omelettes  for b'fast.
Or for dinner.
 And I got my chance to make the Dimer jhol .... the good old Bengali way.

Bengali egg curry
I don't have much to write today. Call it a block or brain turned sluggish in the heat.
So will leave you with the recipe. 

This jhol has garam masalas, which you can go easy on, if making it for a summer meal.

 Need :

 Eggs - 3, boiled and shelled
Potatoes - 2, peeled and cubed
Onions - 2, chopped
Tomatoes - 1, chopped
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
 Haldi / Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
Tomato ketchup - 1 tbsp
Cooking oil - 2 tbsp ( I used mustard oil )
Whole garam masala - cloves + cinnamon + black cardamom, crushed
Bay leaf / Tej patta - 1
Dry red chilli - 2, broken
Fresh green chillies - 2 or 3
Garam masala powder - 1 tsp or less
Salt - to taste
Sugar - 1 tbsp

How to make the curry :

https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dimer+jhol+kichu+khonn

Heat the oil.
Fry the shelled eggs with a sprinkle of sugar till it changes colour.
I do it because I love the crinkle skin on them ... skip this if you do not want it.

Dimer jhol
 In the rest of the oil, add the garam masalas , dry chillies and the bay leaf.
Add the onion and fry well.

When they turn translucent, add the ginger and garlic pastes.
Add tomatoes + haldi + mirchi powder.
Fry well till tomatoes turn soft.

Add the potatoes + salt + water.
Cover and cook till the potatoes are done.

Egg curry
 Remove cover and add the eggs.
Add the ketchup and some fresh green chillies.

https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dimer+jhol+kichu+khonn

Cover and boil some more.
Add garam masala powder, cover and let it stand for 5 minutes.

https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dimer+jhol+kichu+khonn
Serve hot with boiled rice.

You can keep the gravy thick or runny ... as you wish.
I love to keep it slightly thick to mop up with plain rice.
Yum!!










2 comments:

  1. আমার যে মনটা কতদিন ধরে ডিমের ঝোল ডিমের ঝোল করছে, যদি জানতে শর্মিলা। আমাদের সমস্যাটা হল, রোজ সকালে ডিম খেয়ে অফিস যাই, তাই সে জন্য বাঁচিয়ে রাখতে গিয়ে আর ডিমের ঝোল বানানো হয় না। এবার বেশি করে ডিম এনে ঝোলও বানাব, সকালে ফ্রাইও খাব।

    তোমার ডিমের ঝোল অসম্ভব ভালো দেখতে হয়েছে।

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Kuntala. :-)
      Hain, tai koro ... icche jokhon koreche tokhon baniye e felo ekdin. Beshi kore korle ek din du din chere o khete parbe.

      Delete


Please do not spam.