Monday 4 July 2016

Pui shaak diye muri ghonto or Malabar spinach cooked with fish head

Pui diye muri ghonto


At one time, I had no idea of life's real deal.
I used to write a lot on pain but had no idea what real pain was.
Strangely, now that I have seen what life's real tough game is all about, what losing a loved one in the real sense is, I have nothing to write.

All words seem to have disappeared into thin air.
Just like fair weather friends.
All expressions void.
There is no way I can put forth anything ... just so that I can lighten my heart a little.
This is my blog, my space. I know I should.
But I can't.

Life. That is.

Pui diye muri ghonto

I had made this muri ghonto with some of the Pui or Malabar spinach that I had got from Bangalore, a few months back.
Since I had got two big bunches, I have been happily cooking up Pui dishes for a while.
After the bhaja, the jhaal, the bora,  and the posto pui, I still had enough to make a chanchra (post coming up soon ) and this muri ghonto.

I had a fresh Rohu head and with a generous amount of pui thrown in, it made a good ghonto.
I have added garlic this time and the ghonto turned out to have the exact flavours of any Odiya chencheda or ghanto. The flavours that are so familiar to me; which I have grown up enjoying so much.
Reminded me of our Oriya cook back home.

No more digressing to memories.
On to the recipe instead.

Pui diye muri ghonto

Need :

Head of Rohu fish - 1, fried with salt and turmeric and broken
Pui or Malabar spinach - 3 cupfuls, chopped, including some baby stalks
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger paste - 1 tsp
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Dry red chillies - 2, broken
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Sugar - to taste
Cooking oil - 1 tbsp

How to :

Heat the oil in a kadahi.
Add the jeera + broken dry chillies.


Add the ginger + garlic paste and fry well.

Add the fish head and fry some more.

Add  the pui. Mix well.

Add salt + sugar. Cover and cook till the leaves are well cooked.


Remove cover and cook till all water has dried up.
Take care to stir from time to time.


Add red chilli powder and give a good mix again.

Pui diye muri ghonto
Serve hot.

Enjoy!!

And oh! signing off with a look of the throw that I had promised all of you on my page on fb.

http://kichuonnokaaj.blogspot.in/2016/07/crocheted-shawl-or-throw.html




4 comments:

  1. কালকেই বাজারে পুঁই দেখলাম। কিনলাম অবশ্য কলমি। পরদিন পুঁই নিয়ে এসে এই রান্নাটা করব। সোজা মনে হচ্ছে। থ্যাংক ইউ, শর্মিলা। তোমার 'থ্রো' অনবদ্য হয়েছে।

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kuntala. Aha ... kolmi jodi ektu petam ... koto din khaini.

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    Each time I read your blog, I notice few things drool worthy. And no that is not muri ��

    The placemat used below the pristine white plate is lovely and so is the throw. I want to learn knitting but unfortunately how much ever I try I can't.. I make a mess of it.,

    Keep up the writing.. It makes others like me inspired to keep going.

    Take care n warm regards,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ash. Don't give up trying knitting ... we all make mistakes when learning something new.

      Delete


Please do not spam.