Monday 15 January 2018

Egg stuffed sandwich

Egg sandwich
 Or not.
Technically, I mean.
A proper egg sandwich will have boiled eggs. With or without spices.
Like my Ma makes.
But not me. I make my egg sandwiches with already cooked eggs.
And sometimes I stuff parathas with them too. Complete with whatever I want in them ... vegetables, spices, etc. etc.
And then again, there is the real Dim porota or Egg parathas.

But these sandwiches I make are to bring back those days when I was very new in the kitchen.
We had just moved into our flat after our marraige and the lady staying in the flat in front of us was a half Parsi.
She would make all kinds of good food and share with me.
Most days, we would have breakfast and lunch together. Lunch would be leftovers ... both of us would clean out our fridge.
But breakfasts on some days, we would make together.
Some days she would make the eggs and I would have bread and vice versa.
The tea, some days she would make and on some days I. 
And we would sit out on our big terraces and enjoy the food as well as each other's company.

It was she who made these sandwiches and I fell in love with them.
While she kept the eggs half cooked and with just freshly ground black pepper, I love to add vegetables and green chillies to mine.
And a dash of garam masala for the man.
These sandwiches are extra crisp and golden on the outside and soft inside.
I make them often, reminiscing the old days.
These make great snacks too on a winter evening or on a rainy day.

Egg sandwich
 Need :

Eggs
Bread
Butter
Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped Vegetables of your choice ( I used green peas, sweet corn and carrots )
Chopped Onion
Chopped Green chillies
Salt

How to :

Heat a little butter in a pan.

Add the onion + chillies. Fry till onions turn translucent.

Add the vegetables, salt and black pepper.

Add the eggs and fry well.

Remove and cool.

Take sandwich bread and apply butter on both sides.

Place them on the sandwich maker and put some of the scrambled egg in it.

Place another bread on it and close.


Toast till golden brown on the top.

Egg sandwich
Serve hot with ketchup or any dip.

If you do not have a sandwich maker, you can toast it on a flat pan too.
Keep something heavy on the sandwiches and they will easily turn crisp and golden.

Enjoy with your favourite cuppa tea or coffee or even hot chocolate!!




2 comments:

  1. Lovely.... There is a lady on YouTube who cooks truely good Punjabi cuisine ( I see but don't cook ��) who utters so good 'lovely' that I mimic her throughout the day.. Esp with things that are truely........ (Lovely haha)

    The plates are so preety and so is the color of tablecloth....lovely color coordination ( I have to stop using that word) and the steam from the sandwich reaches out tempting me to have a bite... Inspite of me bieng pure vegetarian...no eggs for me��

    I will surely try this with veggies and hot tea.... Just lovely haha

    Take care mam and keep writing

    Luv,
    Warm regards,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ... thank you Ash. You always have the nicest of things to say. You take care too. :-)

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.